Monday, November 25, 2013

Guided Reading Assignment

1In order to have a guided reading, the teacher should remind the group about the topic discussed. If the text is a picture book, the group should do a picture walk. After looking at all the pictures, the class should predict what will happen in the story. If possible, those predictions should be recorded for later use. The teacher can go over new vocabulary before and/or during reading. The second read should be the students reading independently with the teacher nearby. As students read independently, the teacher should walk over to each student to see how they are performing. Each student can be given one-on-one time. Once everyone is done, the teacher will bring up an activity relating to the reading.  
2.
3. I really enjoyed the teacher's enthusiasm but I believe it was too much at times.  The teacher can show excitement without sounding so fake. I am afraid that students can pick up on that and will result in them being less engaged. I was surprised to see some students looking so bored. I wonder if this was their teacher or if she was just a guest. I really liked how the teacher listened to every child and repeated what she heard. This shows students that she is paying attention to what they are saying and the rest of the group can hear the answer if they did not the first time.  I also enjoyed how she gave tips and recommendations through "secrets." It is a good method but I wonder if it really helped students. When the group was doing the activity, I noticed that the teacher never gave students the answer. She scaffolding and waited for student to answer. It was a great way to get students to critically think. Overall, this video was a great example of what a guided reading should look like. 
4. Reading A-Z is a really great resource that provides thousands of books for students in all reading levels. Since so many choices are available, it is easy for teachers to find appropriate books that meet student interest. Not only does Reading A-Z provide leveled readers, but it also includes poetry books and high frequency word books.  I like that these books are printable because it can help a teacher's library grow. I find it especially important that books are available in various languages.  I can see this site making a teacher's life much easier.  If I want to find books that are interesting to my students, I know where to go. 

1 comment:

  1. I love how you noted the teacher's! I did not think to mention this, but it was definitely an important part of the video.

    ReplyDelete