Monday, October 28, 2013

Developing Comprehension

I never realized that reading comprehension is a process that has to be taught and especially modeled by teachers.  We want students to automatically use comprehension strategies while reading. But this isn't an automatic process, it has to be taught. Teachers gradually transfer the responsibility of thinking onto students. Eventually students are able to comprehend readings on their own as their teacher watches. This gradual process can take a week or a year. I especially liked the sequence provided by the book. I found a video that represents most of the steps in the sequence. 
  1. I do, you watch
  2. I do, you help
  3. You do, I help
  4. You do, I watch
Rick's Reading Workshop: Mini-Lesson
This is a great video showing a 5th grade teacher modeling thinking aloud during a focus lesson http://www.pinterest.com/pin/59813501274339560/

What steps did the video represent?
How would you model these steps?
What activities can you do while modeling these steps? 

No comments:

Post a Comment